Searching for a little love and warmth this chilly February, we made these heart pancakes to accompany our reading of Love Monster. We have a few tips to make this an easier experience for you than it was for us…
We know it’s tempting to buy the packaged pancake mix from the store. We succumbed to the temptation and paid the price. Learn from our actions! To make beautiful heart pancakes you will need a super smooth batter. No lumps, people. So it’s best to whip up this batter on your own (that’s right, you’ll need flour and sugar and probably an egg *gasp*), and we recommend using a hand mixer while you’re at it!
Pancake Batter (All Recipes):
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 T vinegar
- 1 cup flour
- 2 T sugar
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 egg
- 2 T butter, melted
- Cooking spray
Instructions: Combine milk and vinegar and let it “sour” for 5 minutes. In another bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Whisk the egg into the milk and vinegar mixture. Pour the flour mixture into the wet mixture and whisk (we recommend blending with a hand mixer) until the lumps are gone.
Heart Pancakes How-To:
- Mix some food coloring into the batter and pour it into a condiment bottle.
- Warm up a pan over medium heat and then start by drawing a heart with the batter.
- Wait 15 seconds, then fill in the heart with more batter.
- Wait for the bubbles to rise to the top of the pancake, then flip and cook the other side.
- Top with butter, syrup, cream, sprinkles, & anything else your heart desires, then watch this video and giggle about pancakes with us:
Tawni is a former special education teacher, now stay-at-home momma. She spends her days reading, cooking with lots of cheese, listening to professional choral music, and tickling her baby boy, Cy. She lives with her husband and son in Utah.