At the end of Guess How Much I Love You Big Nutbrown Hare kisses Little Nutbrown Hare and says “I love you to the moon and back”. With a line like that, a little moon science is definitely in order. Combine science with tasty Oreos and your little won’t even realize they’re getting a science lesson! We believe in the power of fun… and food.
Let’s learn about the phases of the moon!
- Play this video to introduce the phases of the moon
- Give each child a worksheet (you could laminate it for multi-use)
- Give each child 8 Oreos (you can get away with using 4 if you use each Oreo for two moons)
- Talk about each phase and help the child split the Oreo and make the moon by eating or scraping off the cream (a plastic knife or spoon work well) to form the correct shape!
- Line up the Oreos on the sheet and you’ve done it!
Tawni is a former special education teacher, now stay-at-home momma. She spends her days reading, cooking with lots of cheese, listening to professional choral music, and tickling her baby boy, Cy. She lives with her husband and son in Utah.