You may have seen this experiment before, it is often used in church lessons as a symbol of Christ’s power to remove sin. After reading The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry, and The Big Hungry Bear, we thought of this experiment because it looks like the “red water” disappears! The little mouse in the story does his best to hide the strawberry from the big hungry bear. Let’s see if we can whip up a little disappearing act of our own!
- Iodine (medical supplies section of the store)
- 3 clear cups
- Cup #1: 100% water
- Cup #2: 80% water + 20% iodine (the colored water)
- Cup #3: 80% water + 20% bleach (the magic)
- Pour some of the Iodine water (Cup #2) into the cup of just water (Cup #1)
- After the color has saturated cup #1, pour some of the bleach water (Cup #3) into Cup #1 and watch the color disappear!
- Now try pouring some of the liquid in cup #2 (iodine water) into cup #3 (bleach water). It’s pretty magical!
Tawni is a former special education teacher, now stay-at-home momma. She spends her days reading, cooking with lots of cheese, listening to professional choral music, and tickling her baby boy, Cy. She lives with her husband and son in Utah.