Spooky Writing: A Writing Activity with “Trick or Pete”
We integrated writing into our craft for “Trick or Pete” by Kimberly & James Dean. Since “Trick or Pete” is a lift-the-flap book we thought it would be fun to make our own lift-the-flap craft! Under each flap, we drew a “spooky” thing. Then the kiddos who are writing added words!
What you’ll need:
- Cardstock: we used white, black, green, orange, and purple
- Tape (you could use cute washi-tape, but I just drew dots on some masking tape!)
- Cut squares out of the colored cardstock and use the tape to fasten them to the white page
- Help the kids draw spooky things under each flap. Below are some examples of spooky things they might pick. Draw on a board or a separate piece of paper so they can watch and learn, then let them draw it themselves on their page!
- Now it’s time to add some words! It the kids can sound it out and write it themselves, let them! If not, let them dictate the word to you so they can trace or copy it.
*This post contains affiliate links, ya’ll!
Tawni is a former special education teacher, now stay-at-home momma. She spends her days reading, cooking with lots of cheese, listening to professional choral music, and tickling her baby boy, Cy. She lives with her husband and son in Utah.