Toy Store: Math with “Thankful” by Eileen Spinelli
In “Thankful” there is a picture that depicts a little tent that the children have set up to be a pretend hotel, charging $5 per stay. Our math activity is inspired by that, using counting skills in a little toy store (that would be totally fun to set up in a tent if you’re feeling ambitious!)
What you’ll need:
- Dollar bills
- Toys/Snacks to put up for “sale”
- Price tags & Markers
- Build a little “store” using blankets and furniture
- Write amounts on price tags and fasten them to the items
- Pick who will be the owner and the customer, and begin imaginative play!
- Make sure to spend careful time identifying numbers on the pricetags and counting each dollar bill in payment.
*This post contains one or two affiliate links, ya’ll!
Tawni is a former special education teacher, now stay-at-home momma. She spends her days reading, cooking with lots of cheese, listening to professional choral music, and tickling her baby boy, Cy. She lives with her husband and son in Utah.